Saving Mr. Banks-- Movie Review

Monday, October 27, 2014

I have wanted to see this movie for I-don't-know-how-long. (I mean, come on, it has Emma Thompson, Tome Hanks, Paul Giamatti, and so many more! And plus, it's all about Mary Poppins!!) 
Well, last night my wish came true. I curled up in the rocking chair with a bowl of chips & salsa and watched this magical movie...



(Saving Mr. Banks)


{Basic Summery}
Mrs. P.L. Travers, a British author, is in financial trouble and must sell the rights of her book to Walt Disney in order to make ends meet. The only problem is she despises the idea of her book becoming a film. She and Mr. Disney do their best to come to an understanding that Mary Poppins will become an amazing movie that all people will love. Faced with the problems of her dislike for musicals, cartoons, and her childhood, Mrs. P.L. Travers has to come to terms with the fact that everyone has things from their past that they wish they could forget, but that those very things can be used in ways to change the world.



{What Did I Like?}
I loved hearing the backstory of one of my favorite Disney films!! After you watch it, you will never see Mary Poppins in the same light. I liked seeing how an author considers their characters family, and want to protect them as such. I loved the cast!! They did an excellent job of choosing amazing actors and actresses to pull this off. I also liked how they swapped Points of View throughout the film to tie everything together. The character development was fairly nice as well. And I laughed at the hints of comedy that popped up throughout the story.



{What Did I Not Like?}
There was a little bit of cursing off-and-on, but not to the point that it took away from the storyline. There was some drinking & smoking, but once again not so frequent that it took away meaning from the story. The Main Character is rather rude, but from what I understand, that was what the woman from the real story was actually like! 



{What Is My Rating?}
Out of 10 stars, I would give this an 8! I thoroughly enjoyed this movie, and felt like it gave a depth that many other films do not. I did not give this a 10 because it can be a little dry to kids who are used to more "exciting" entertainment. But on the whole, I loved it, and I would love to watch it again!



{My Favorite Character?}
That would have to be Ralph, the chauffeur, (played by Paul Giamatti.) He made me laugh, smile, and cry. His character was just great, and I can't tell you why without spoiling the whole thing!







Let me know in the comments what you thought of this movie!! I'd love to hear your thoughts on it! And yes, I posted twice today... I just couldn't help myself. <3








H.M. Wilson

No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments. Seriously, I love them! Feel free to discuss the post, ask questions, leave a link to your blog, or just make a passing remark about books & coffee...

(But PLEASE keep your comments kind & positive. Advice is fine, but meanness is not. Be sweet like chocolate & loving like Jesus and we will get along splendidly!)