How To Procrastinate...The Right Way!

Saturday, November 8, 2014
Hello, I am a Writer and I like to Procrastinate!

I might as well introduce myself this way, because that's pretty much the truth right now. I signed up for NaNoWriMo with every confidence that I would write 2,000 words every day, not once have Writer's Block, feel like my writing is fabulous, AND complete everything else that must happen in life.

Needless to say, it has not.

I have had major Writer's Block from the beginning. I have put off opening up that Word File. I have opened my old notebook to read the scribbles I had made for the original story several months ago and ended up reading something else. I have found so many other things to do besides writing. I have even put off updating my little Word-Count-Thingy on the NaNo Website!!


But... I am not complaining! Things have happened this month that have prevented me from meeting my daily word-count, but at the same time, has given me memories and experience that I would not otherwise have had.


How many times do you get to lead worship at your youth group? How often do you get to see that friend who moved out-of-state 6 months ago? How many times do you get to babysit kids at your church? How often are you able to just go shopping with your mom? How much are you able to support and comfort your family during a difficult time? These are moments that you may never experience if you are only concerned with meeting a word-count.

Now, I'm not saying that NaNo is not a cool thing!! I think it is a really great program to help people with quickly getting a rough draft of their book finished. I think it's awesome to connect with other writers who have ideas and dreams just like you do. But just because it is cool does not mean I am only concerned with that one thing and nothing more.

Besides, if we don't experience anything, how can we write at all? You are supposed to "write what you know," right? If you don't live, you don't learn. If you don't learn, then you will know nothing at all.

I am still going to participate in the whole NaNo process, but it's a fact that I won't reach 50,000 by December 1st. And to be honest, that's okay! I would rather enjoy my time spent with the people I love than any amount of scribbling I could ever do in my room all alone.

 Whether it is with work, school, hobbies, sports, or nearly anything else in life, make time for your loved ones. If you think about it, they are the ones who will love you down the line, not your --(fill in the blank.) Yes, it is important to you and might continue to be so in the future. But it shouldn't be so overwhelmingly important that it damages your relationships with your family, church, and friends.

Yes, the draft needs to be written. But the same can be said about your life and your relationship with GOD and others.


#WritingAdvice



Hello, I am a Writer and I love to Procrastinate Live.











H.M. Wilson

2 comments :

  1. That's a great way to procrastinate! It's great that you get these one time experiences, What your doing is a lot better than writing a novel like some sort of crazy psycho, like me! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Thanks! Yeah, if you look at life through this lens, it makes things seem much more exciting & important. My novel WILL be written, just not within a certain time-frame. Thanks for all of the fun comments. :)

      Delete

I love comments. Seriously, I love them! Feel free to discuss the post, ask questions, leave a link to your blog, or just make a passing remark about books & coffee...

(But PLEASE keep your comments kind & positive. Advice is fine, but meanness is not. Be sweet like chocolate & loving like Jesus and we will get along splendidly!)