The Best Christmas Pagent Ever (Book Review)

Saturday, December 13, 2014

Today, in the name of Christmas spirit, I have decided to share (quite possibly) my most favorite Christmas story ever. Part of the reason I love it so much is because of the nostalia connected with it... My family reads this book every single year on the week leading up to Christmas. But I also love the author's way of explaining the true meaning of Christmas in such a sweet and simple way. Even though it is technically a kid's book, adults and children alike can be touched by this adorable tale.

Here it is...




(The Best Christmas Pageant Ever)



Basic Overview

"The Herdmans are the worst kids in the history of the world. They lie, steal, smoke cigars, swear, and hit little kids. So no one is prepared when this outlaw family invades church one Sunday and decides to take over the annual Christmas pageant.

None of the Herdmans have ever heard the Christmas story before. Their interpretation of the tale — the Wise Men are a bunch of dirty spies and Herod needs a good beating — has a lot of people up in arms. But it will make this year's pageant the most unusual anyone has seen and, just possibly, the best one ever."

What I Liked:
Where do I begin?? The hilarious, side-splitting humor weaved throughout this story is untouchable. This is one of the few books that makes me laugh out loud every. single. timeWhen she shows the adult side of the world from a child's point of view, it is truly eye-opening. The reality that Robinson is able to put into words concerning members of a tiny town who all go to church together still amazes me. And I love the precious message that shines through; Christmas is meant to bring the best out of us. This charming little book is a perfect mixture of funny imagination and reality. 


What I Didn't Like:
There is absolutely nothing about this book that I do not like! I love every page of every chapter... 


My Rating:
I will always give this story a 10 out 10 stars!! In my opinion, it is perfect, and nothing could be changed to improve it at all. It's child and adult friendly, has ageless humor, many laughable moments, and an amazing message for everyone.


My Favorite Character
I think my favorite character would have to be Beth, the narrator. The story is told from her point of view, and she doesn't sugar-coat anything! Her truthfulness sometimes gets her into trouble, but she is able to understand things in a way that her friends cannot. I think we all connect with Beth, because she says the things we have all felt at one time or another. But I also love her character development, as she learns about the true meaning of Christmas from the meanest kids in the world... 




What is your favorite Christmas story? Leave a comment down below, and make a post about your favorite Christmas traditions... <3


H.M. Wilson

2 comments :

  1. I read this book every year, and just like you, I laugh every time. It's such a hilarious books and provides a view to chose who have not been introduced to the tale before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We started reading it last night... I also love how she blends backstory in with the current tale & how it just helps to add more depth to what you are reading. Not all authors can blend flash-backs so well. :)

      Delete

I love comments. Seriously, I love them! Feel free to discuss the post, ask questions, leave a link to your blog, or just make a passing remark about books & coffee...

(But PLEASE keep your comments kind & positive. Advice is fine, but meanness is not. Be sweet like chocolate & loving like Jesus and we will get along splendidly!)