Digging In Deeper... (Tangled Style)

Friday, January 30, 2015
If you have seen the movie "Tangled" and thought it was possibly the cutest Disney movie ever, you are on my list of awesome people!! Tangled has been a favorite of mine for years. I love the music, the traditional storyline with a few changed aspects, and--of course--the smooth, charming Flynn
Rider...

(Come on!! Look at this face!!)

But I also loved all of the little undertones scattered throughout the entirety of the film.
(Okay, I admit it...My writer's brain ends up going into overdrive & does some slight annotation when I watch movies. But it can be really cool! For instance, I bet you didn't think about it, but the opening song for Frozen is employing the technique of foreshadowing. If you go listen to the lyrics, you will understand what I mean. Mind-bomb, right??)

(Hehehe...)


Today, I am going to discuss one of my personal favorites to pick apart: Rapunzel's Healing Song. You can do this with basically any movie/book/song and discover cool stuff. I just chose this movie because I love it so much & watch it all the time... There ARE spoilers in this post, so if you haven't seen the movie first, I highly suggest watching it before you read any further.

Here are the words...


"Flower gleam and glow,
Let your power shine,

Make the clock reverse,
Bring back what once was mine.

Heal what has been hurt,
Change the fate's design, 
Save what has been lost,
Bring back what once was mine.
What once was mine."



Okay, sweet lyrics, right? But what exactly is the meaning behind all of these words that Rapunzel and Mother Gothel sing in routine throughout the story? We are about to find out!






-So, the first time we hear the song is in the opening scene of the film, when Mother Gothel has kept the flower hidden. She sings the song and her age is reversed, making her young again. 
In this instance, the song is her way of reachiching out to take back something of hers that she has lost: her youth. She is afraid of dying & keeps the song/flower as a "fountain of youth" for her own personal use.





-The second time we hear the song is in the castle, when Mother Gothel is about to steal Rapunzel away. The kingdom had "stolen" the flower from her hiding spot & she feels that it is still her property. Thus, the meaning of the song changes from "bringing back youth" to "bringing back my property."





-We next hear the song after Rapunzel is abducted & has begun to grow up in the tower, while Gothel is lying to her about how dangerous it is outside. She doesn't realize it, but Rapunzel's freedom is being taken away. She might be singing the song for her stepmother, but deep down she is singing for her freedom to be restored to her. I think the same can be said for the time she sings it after that, when she wishes to ask to be allowed outside for her birthday.




-She sings again when her and Flynn are trapped in the flooding cave, with no means of escape. She only sings a tiny piece of the song here, and uses it for light. It ends up granting their escape, and allowing them to continue on their journey. 





-When Flynn's wounded hand is displayed in the firelight, Rapunzel is wrapping her hair around it, singing the song once more. This time the song's intention is to heal Flynn's cut & bring back his good health. When he removes the hair, it is as if the accident had never happened!





-The final time we hear this haunting song is as Flynn is dying in Rapunzel's arms. He cuts her hair in order for her to be free of Mother Gothel forever, but at the same time seals his fate to die. Rapunzel begins to sing the song, but it does no good since her magic hair is gone. After Flynn breathes his last, she finishes the song, letting her tears fall on his face. The song has changed it's meaning once again. No longer is it commanding youth, good health, or freedom to return; it is begging for her new dream, true love, and happiness to come back to her.




So, there you have it!! As you can see, I really find it really interesting to look for hidden meaning in stories and songs. I'll bet if you watch some of your favorite movies with this sort of mind-set, you will begin to find cool stuff like this all the time! Something as simple as a song that changes meaning throughout the film can mean a lot to the plot!! (Hehe...That rhymes!!)

I hope you enjoyed today's post! Do you have movies that you have "combed through" and found hidden meanings or foreshadowing?? Let me know in the comments what you thought, and also give me some ideas for new content that you want to see.




H.M. Wilson

9 comments :

  1. Oh, very interesting! So much detail and thought is put into Disney movies, that you often don't catch subtle things like this at first.

    Tangled is such a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading!! Yeah, it amazes me how much they put into each one of their films... I mean, with Disney-Pixar alone & their hidden Easter Eggs that go all through every movie?? Lots of thought and planning... Lol! I hope you enjoyed reading! And thank you for loving Tangled!! Haha! :D

      Delete
  2. Great post! I had realized some of these facts, but even more so now with your fantastic little details. :] Tangled is one of my ABSOLUTE FAVORITES.

    Love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Sarah!! It's so much fun when you are reading or watching something & a little lightbulb goes off and you see something you didn't before... Lol! I'd love to read a post from you over a topic like this!! :)

      Delete
    2. And also... THANK YOU for loving Tangled!!!!! :D

      Delete
    3. Haha! My pleasure! I bear no shame xD

      Also, I just wanted to letcha know I've tagged you over on my blog! You are not obligated to go through with it, but if you do, enjoy! Link below :]

      http://sarah-plainandaverage.blogspot.com/2015/02/not-all-who-wander-are-lost-lotr-hobbit.html

      Delete
    4. Of course, I'll check it out!! I love your blog... :D

      Delete
  3. Ooh, I had never noticed this before. Super interesting. :)
    Tangled is probably my favorite Disney Princess movie... I love it so much. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha! Katie, you just get cooler and cooler... GO, TEAM TANGLED!! <3

      Delete

I love comments. Seriously, I love them! Feel free to discuss the post, ask questions, leave a link to your blog, or just make a passing remark about books & coffee...

(But PLEASE keep your comments kind & positive. Advice is fine, but meanness is not. Be sweet like chocolate & loving like Jesus and we will get along splendidly!)