My Top 10 Favorite Side-Characters (Guy Addition)

Monday, April 13, 2015








Okay... I have a thing for good side-characters in stories. Sure, a relatable protagonist is important. Yes, a 'good' villain is imperative. But amazing side-characters are just as vital to an interesting story as anything else.

After I watched a video from BookTuber, jessethereader, (here's the link to his video:  Favorite Side-Characters) I knew I had to make a post discussing a few of my personal favorites... So without further ado, here are ten of my favorite side-characters.



1.) Herbert Pocket from Great Expectations.


I just finished this book, and I absolutely loved this character! Herbert was such a gentlemanly and sweet-natured guy, I couldn't help but love him. He helps Pip, (on whom he bestows the nickname "Handel,") to think a bit more sensitively of other people and also by showing him the true meaning of friendship. 


2.) Newt from The Maze Runner trilogy.


While I didn't really care too much for the series, this guy right here was an awesome character! While his outside seems rather rough and coarse at first, Newt has a soft & sensitive side. I'm not gonna lie-- I was furious at Dashner for what he did to Newt. (To be totally honest, Newt was the only reason I finished the series anyway. So you can imagine how angry I was by the end.) I want to just snatch him up & keep him for my own, but alas, stealing another author's characters is illegal...


3.) Atticus from To Kill A Mockingbird.


Okay... I feel like this big guy doesn't get enough credit. In my mind, Atticus is the epitome of a true southern gentleman. His character remains so classy throughout the the entirety of the tale, and I can't help but be in awe of his self-control and eloquence. And his philosophy that he shares with his children is so beautiful, I have to quote him...

"First of all," he said, "if you can learn a simple trick, Scout, you'll get along a lot better with all kinds of folks. You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view […] until you climb into his skin and walk around in it."


4.) Calvin from A Wrinkle In Time.


I'll admit it, he was definitely one of my first fictional crushes. Calvin is just an all-around good guy: smart, sweet, athletic, handsome, sensitive, understanding... (I could go on forever!) And the fact that he loves the things in Meg that she wishes were different is probably his most endearing quality. 


6.) Finnick from (the last two books of) The Hunger Games trilogy.


At first, I thought that Finnick and I were not going to get along at all. But by the last book, he was in my top 3 favorite characters from that series. The fact that he has a hidden softness, that he is so ready to help Katniss no matter what, and that he can be so witty is what I loved most about him. (Susan Collins, why...??)


7.) Jo from Bleak House.


This one is slightly different than my others on this list because I haven't read this book yet, but I couldn't resist adding him. ( I have watched the BBC miniseries & thoroughly enjoyed it! ) Jo is just a common street-kid, always getting chased off by people of an upper class. His part of the tale just crushed me! Something about this kid just stole my heart & made me wanna wrap him in a blanket and adopt him! (Sadly, once more, stealing a character is wrong... Even if his author is dead.) I am dying to read the book and see if I like him as much in the book as I did in the show.


8.) Huckleberry Fin from The Adventures of Tom Sawyer.


This fella added a flare of mischief and fun to Tom's story, and ran rampant in his own book. While he does have a bit of a foul mouth, there is something eye-catching and charming about Huck's character that I couldn't seem to get enough of. 


9.) Robin from The Little White Horse.


In the book, he is a kind-hearted, mysterious, rosy-cheeked individual, but in the film adaption, The Secret of Moonacre, he is just the opposite! (Strangely enough, I found that I kinda liked both versions of his character. This time, I will stick with talking about his book personality.) He is a precious boy who picks flowers for Maria every day. He reminded me a lot of Dickon in The Secret Garden because of the whimsical touch to his mannerisms. 


10.) Justin from Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of Nihm.


Even though he is just a rat living in a rosebush, Justin character is so gentlemanly & chivalrous. Through the whole tale, he is looking out for Mrs. Frisby and trying to make things better for others. At the end, you are never fully sure of what happens to him, but it is insinuated in a single act of bravery that lingers with you after the book is over. 



So there you have it!! These are just a few of my favorite side-characters... Who are some of your favorite side-characters? Comment down below or post your own list & tag me!! <3





H.M. Wilson


12 comments :

  1. These are are SO GOOD. Totally agree (Finnick for the win!)...great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, thanks, Anne!! :) Yes... Finnick, WHY?? He was great.

      Delete
  2. J.K. Rolling mastered the side characters in my opinion. I mean, I love almost all of them!
    Shannon Hale's side characters in the Goose Girl series also pulled me in.
    And one must never forget Reepicheep.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Hannah! :) I have yet to read any of J.K's books yet, but they are certainly on my future TBR list... And I've only heard awesome things about Goose Girl!! I really need to find it. Lol! Oh, and Reep is fantastic too!! These were just the first ones that popped into my head... Haha! <3

      Delete
  3. This list is perfection. So many of them are favorites of mine! Newt = my life. I think it's awesome that we like so many of the same books, including some lesser known ones - like The Little White Horse!
    Great post, Hannah. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! :D ( **sigh** Newt... You are amazing. ) Yeah, I think that it's awesome when you find someone with the same favs. The Little White Horse has been a childhood favorite of mine for years!! And it brings back so many fond, nostalgic memories!! Haha! <3

      Delete
  4. I'm ashamed to admit I haven't read many of these books :/

    BUT NEWT. WHY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awe... Don't be ashamed! Haha!! It just gives you more books to stack in the future reading pile! ;)

      Delete
  5. Yes! To all of these! But especially Herbert, Newt, Atticus, Huckleberry, and Robin. :) Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Hannah! :) Yes... I think Atticus is the one I look up to the most out of all of them. But they are all perfect!! Thank you for reading! I'd love to check out your blog if you have one. <3

      Delete
  6. I have to admit that I don't really remember why Finnick is so awesome. I definitely need to reread Mockingjay before the last part of the movie comes out. I tend to be a forgetful reader. I remember how I felt about something, but I don't actually remember what happens, haha.

    Great list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do that a lot too... But it IS a perfect excuse to re-read an old favorite! ;) Thanks for reading! <3

      Delete

I love comments. Seriously, I love them! Feel free to discuss the post, ask questions, leave a link to your blog, or just make a passing remark about books & coffee...

(But PLEASE keep your comments kind & positive. Advice is fine, but meanness is not. Be sweet like chocolate & loving like Jesus and we will get along splendidly!)