My Ever-Growing TBR Pile

Tuesday, May 5, 2015








If you have followed my blog for any length of time, you know that I'm always referencing a mysterious jumbled-up list which is full of elusive books I have yet to capture & devour... And if you follow me on Goodreads, (which you really should do, if you don't already!) you have seen only a fraction of the my unending list. But the odd thing is, no matter how many books I consume, no matter how tired my eyes are, and no matter how sore my neck becomes, this list refuses to dwindle.

It is in these moments of reflection that I remember an appropriate quote from Lemony Snicket.








(Yeah... that's what comes to mind.)






Anyway, I thought that I would try to write out some of my insane list for you guys today & maybe we can compare notes to see who has read which books and discover which ones neither of us have conquered! Sounds like an interesting challenge to me!! <3

Now, please be kind to me here... There are a bunch in my pile that I am ashamed to admit I have yet to pick up. So no hate on anyone, okay? haha! We are all just one big, happy family! :)




Uncle Tom's Cabin
Lord of the Flies
The Lord of the Rings
Animal Farm
1984
The Diary of Anne Frank
The Tale of Two Cities
The Great Gatsby
The Scarlett Pimpernel
Lassie, Come Home
Les Miserables
Pygmalion
Gone With the Wind
The Mark of Zorro
Winnie-the-Pooh
The Goose Girl series
Harry Potter series
Percy Jackson series
Ender's Game series
Anne of Green Gables
Treasure Island 
A Series of Unfortunate Events
North and South
It Took A War
The Book Thief
Persuasion
Oliver Twist
Bleak House



................




You get the idea... It's hopeless to even try to add all of them!!! How sad, right? 

These are just the ones that instantly come to mind, but it is still a pretty big list! In all honesty, there are a few of these that I have listened to numerous times through audio-book, but never actually held a hard copy. 

Even though I don't believe that I will read every single book I hope to read, and even though I am teasingly bemoaning this petty problem through this blog post, I have decided to do something dangerous... (*GASP*)



Here's my crazy two-parted idea: 

(1.) If you have a Goodreads account, be sure to follow me!! The link to my account is in the "Wanna Talk?" page in the header.

(2.) After you have followed me, look at my lists of books. And here's the crazy part: I want you guys to recommend more books to me! 





I know, it sounds totally ridiculous to say that just after I told you I will never read everything there is to be read...but there's no harm in trying!! I want to stretch my reading muscles a bit & try some new books! <3


Comment down below & tell me a few of your books you are dying to read! I'd love to hear some of your favorites that you FINALLY checked off your list, as well! 







H.M. Wilson






Currently reading: Lord of the Flies by William Golding
Just finished: Sense & Sensibility by Jane Austen (Review Soon!)
Listening to: "A River Flows In You" by Yiruma

17 comments :

  1. That's a great list, I've read most of them and definitely worth reading! Currently, I'm reading Bone Gap by Laura Ruby and it's FANTASTIC. Another great one more recently published is Panic by Lauren Oliver. The Help by Kathryn Stockett is my all-time favorite. I'll be sure to follow you on GR, though I don't do such a great job of keeping up with my account ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading, Anne! :) Ooohh... Just those titles sound intriguing!! Thanks for suggesting them. And thanks for following me on GR, too!

      Delete
  2. Ooh. Read the Tales of Goldstone Wood by Anne Elisabeth Stengl. Also, A Time to Die by Nadine Brandes, and the Ilyon Chronicles by Jaye L. Knight. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Katie! :) Oh-my-goodness!! Those all sound amazing... Definitely checking these out. <3

      Delete
  3. Okay, LOVED The Mark of Zorro, The Goose Girl, Harry Potter(I'm rereading the series right now), Anne of Green Gables, North and South, and Persuasion. As for the rest, a lot of them are in my TBR. I think the only one I saw that I read and didn't like was the Ender's Game(a whole lotta nothin' happened in that book). I'm particularly itching to read The Book Thief and The Scarlet Pimpernel!

    As for recommendations....Tiger Lily by Jodi Lynn Anderson. The Hollow Kingdom by Clare B. Dunkle. Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. Seraphina by Rachel Hartman....I should probably stop now :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by, Ally! :) Awesomness!! That gives me an idea on which ones to read next... And these recommendations all sound fabulous! (Was it you who suggested Tiger Lilly to me on GR?? I have LOVED Peter Pan forever & it was super-cool to see that on there...) <3

      Delete
    2. I'm sure it was! I recommended it to a lot of people, I just couldn't remember if you were one of them.

      Delete
  4. Animal Farm was SO good, but really sad. And The Lord of the Rings? What can I say? Amazingness throughout. (Although, *coughcough* I haven't read the books in years. x) )
    Since I don't have Goodreads, but I LOVE recommending books, here's some:
    The Ranger's Apprentice series -- really good fantasy. Not amazing writing style, but the characters are amazing.
    The Giver quartet -- I haven't read all of the books in the quartet, but the first two are really good.
    The Mysterious Benedict Society -- I LOVE these books.
    The Wingfeather Saga -- the most amazing modern fantasy books ever.
    Any of Dorothy Sayers' mystery novels -- these are probably my favorite mysteries ever, and Sayers has an amazing writing style. However they may be for more mature readers, so you may want to double-check on them. =)

    I am dying to read the last book in the before-mentioned Wingfeather Saga, and also I really want to start reading the Mistborn series. I have a lot of friends who are crazy about Mistborn, so I really want to read it. x)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for coming over, Victoria! :) Oh, wow! I read The Fellowship of the Ring, but I never finished the other two sections of the book... Shame on me, huh? Lol! ;) But all of these recommendations sound amazing!! (I ADORE the Giver series, but I could never find the 2nd one at the Library... I need to hunt harder for it, I suppose! Lol!) I will have to look into these. <3

      Delete
  5. I haven't read even half the books on your list :) The Great Gatsby and The Diary of Anne Frank are a must though.
    Also, I love A River Flows In You!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Opal! :) Yay! I'm not the only one! Haha... YES, I'm starting Gatsby & am loving it. Isn't the song awesome?? One of my favs... <3

      Delete
  6. I AM SO AWFUL AT KEEPING TO-READ LISTS. I want to read more books, but they're always ones my library DOESN'T have. You feel my struggle, girl? I'm also very bad at listening to audio books... But lately I've been reading a ton of books. Mostly N.D. Wilson books, though. I need more books to read. I want to read Lord of the Rings (seen the movies since I was a wee lass but I haven't read them). We'll see if I ever get to that. *nods head*

    Lovely post!

    ALSO I JUST SAW VICTORIA'S COMMENT. THE WINGFEATHER SAGA AND THE MYSTERIOUS BENEDICT SOCIETY. I have not read all the books in the Wingfeather Saga, but I have read the first one. And my best friends love that series, but they cried for hours at the last book. So I'm really pushed away by that because then I'd be crying for DAYS man. DAYS. But the first book was amazing (and I would have read the rest if my library had them..). As for the Mysterious Benedict Society, it's amazing. Go for it. I love it a lot. :-D

    Cally // wordspassingyouby.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Candence! Thanks for joining the party!! :) Oh, girl, I feel you... Being a reader is difficult sometimes, huh? Lol! <3
      Gosh--I guess I really do need to check these series out!! Haha! Emotionally damaging books?? Sounds like something I'd read! XD

      Hope to see you back sometime! I'm checking out your blog now... <3

      Delete
  7. The struggle is real. So many books so, so little time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Hannah! :) I KNOW, RIGHT?? #ReaderProbz

      Delete
  8. This is a fantastic to-read list, Hannah! My TBR has grown way out of hand, and it's all Goodreads' fault. Not like I'm complaining about that or anything. :D As for recommendations...well, I have a ton of them, but I shall endeavor to randomly narrow it down a bit. I recommend Interrupted and Chasing Jupiter by Rachel Coker, Tales of Goldstone Wood by Anne Elisabeth Stengl, Code Name Verity and Rose Under Fire by Elizabeth Wein, Mansfield Park by Jane Austen, anything by Ray Bradbury, The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway and To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee. And I better stop there or else I'll be typing away here forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ana! :) Haha! Darn you, GoodReads!! OOOhhh... I meant to add Code Name Verity to the list! But all of those sound great!

      Mansfield Park & To Kill A Mockingbird are both AMAZING books... I'm glad you've also read those. Thanks for all of the recommendations!! <3

      Delete

I love comments. Seriously, I love them! Feel free to discuss the post, ask questions, leave a link to your blog, or just make a passing remark about books & coffee...

(But PLEASE keep your comments kind & positive. Advice is fine, but meanness is not. Be sweet like chocolate & loving like Jesus and we will get along splendidly!)