Beautiful People Linkup #11 // My first time to join

Sunday, July 5, 2015














So, I've seen the Beautiful People linkup scattered throughout the blogiverse for a while now, but I never actually decided to join. What a mistake... If you are a writer, and your book is needing some help, Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further Up & Further In created this linkup to help writers create better characters and dig deeper into their stories. <3



I think it's about time for me to be a bit more "sociable" where my blogging & writing is concerned, and allow myself to share a bit more. And what better way to do that than to join an awesome linkup??



I am going to use my protagonist, Emma Winslow, from my WIP, Emma's File, to answer these questions.


































1. What’s their favourite ice cream flavour?

Emma likes to keep things simple. Vanilla ice-cream is her favorite, and if she is wanting to shake things up a little, she might get strawberry...






2. Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where are they going? What are they wearing? Who will they be with?

Emma isn't a huge social-butterfly... She likes going to the Library in her free time, but her friends can talk her into doing other things like going skating, attending a piano recital, or taking an art class.


When she's not wearing her school uniform, she usually wears jeans or skater-skirts with leggings and an oversized sweater.


And if she is hanging out with anyone, it would be her school friends Harper, Lennon, Ash, Nigel, or Hudson.






3. Look at your character’s feet. Describe what you see there. Do they wear dress shoes, gym shoes, or none at all? Are they in socks that are ratty and full of holes? What do they consider comfortable and what do they consider agony?

I see either worn Converse sneakers, or scuffed combat boots. Familiarity is comfort, and sentimental value plays into the meaning of this comfort. Agony is reminders of old hurts, fears, and sadness.







4. Do they have any birthmark or scars? Where are they and how did they get them?

Emma has a stray freckle or two... And she also has a little scar on her knuckles from when she was little & she burnt herself while baking cookies with her mom.






5. What kind of music do they listen to? Does it change depending on their mood or is it always consistent? (Feel free to share samples!)

I have a feeling that Emma likes soft, soothing acoustic music... Maybe some piano, violin, and guitar? Something gentle and easy to relax with!





6. Do they have any musical talent? Play an instrument? How’s their singing voice?

She took piano lessons from her mom when she was younger, but stopped when her mom died. She has a bit of a love-hate relationship with it, because of the memories, but cannot stop listening to her musically-inclined friends play!


She can sing okay, but it's not her favorite activity.







7. What kind of book would you catch them reading?

Emma likes the classics, but she adores a good 'ole fantasy novel!! It makes her feel like she is in another world & helps her to forget about her problems.







8. How would they spend their summers (or their holidays)?

Reading, listening to the sounds of nature, thinking about life...






9. It’s Saturday at noon. What is your character doing? Give details. Ex. If they’re eating breakfast, what’s on the menu? Are they hiking, shopping, lazing around?

Emma would be spending every spare moment in the Library if it wasn't for her friends. As she grows closer to them, she finds that she enjoys socializing more & more, and wants to spend more time with each of them.

Harper would probably be giving her a private music recital in the school's Music Hall or taking her shopping in the village close by school.

Ash would be giving her a piano lesson, teaching her to draw, or just sitting & talking.

Lennon would be tutoring her, going shopping with her, or teasing & telling funny stories.

Nigel would be working on Math homework with her, trying to get her to skate or do something else out-of-the-ordinary & unpredictable, or trying to make her feed him information about Lennon.

Hudson would be taking her out to lunch, walking with her, or reading a book to her.










10. Is there anything your character wants to be free of?

She wants to be free of her gift, or, rather, the past hurt, fear, and loneliness that has come with her gift. She looks at her ability to read minds as a curse. And she believes that her life would be better if she could only be "normal".












Wow!! I thoroughly enjoyed that. And I learned a few more things about Emma that I never would have thought about before... <3




Feel free to join this fun partaaaayy over at Cait's blog or Sky's!! I know I had fun this time, so if your are into writing, you ought to try it too! :)








H.M. Wilson

9 comments :

  1. I love the name Emma, and your Emma sounds like her name suits her perfectly! Can wait to read more of your posts! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Ely! Thanks for stopping by! :) Awe... Thank you!! I stressed out when it came time to pick a name for her. None of them sounded right at all!! But when I just called her "Emma" one day, it seemed to fit. lol! #WriterProbs, huh?? XD

      I hope you enjoy reading some of my other posts!! <3

      Delete
  2. Hi, H.M. Wilson! I'm glad that you decided to take part in BP. It's so nice to get to know new people, and I feel like my writing grows and improves as I interact with others in the writing world. Hope it does the same for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, there! :) Thanks for stopping by & reading! <3 It is SO MUCH FUN fun to connect with other writers...

      Delete
  3. Welcome to the link-up! I try to find some new blogs every month and it's awesome to find yours! And a fellow Christan as well! I followed you. The little griffin guy is me. I made that years ago and blogger won't let me change it. Woes ... Mind reader! Sweet! And she loves books and music awesome! ^ ^

    I did BP too (my character is also a big bookworm lol): http://storitorigrace.blogspot.com/2015/07/beautiful-people-11-brian.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Victoria! :) I'm glad you stopped by!! I will totally be checking out your blog. I LOVE bookworm characters... <3

      Delete
    2. It's nice to discover you thanks to the link-up. ^ ^ It's one reason I love it. Thank you!

      Delete
  4. I love her. She seems to have a lot in common with me, and she reads minds that would be a troubling ability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Skye! :) Thanks for commenting... Yeah, I like Emma too! (I think I'll keep her. Lol!) I think part of the reason I like her so much is because I try to pour myself into her. She does hate her abilities, but later on she is going to have to learn to love herself! haha! Thanks for stopping by! :)

      Delete

I love comments. Seriously, I love them! Feel free to discuss the post, ask questions, leave a link to your blog, or just make a passing remark about books & coffee...

(But PLEASE keep your comments kind & positive. Advice is fine, but meanness is not. Be sweet like chocolate & loving like Jesus and we will get along splendidly!)