So, I've seen the Beautiful People linkup scattered throughout the blogiverse for a while now, but I never actually decided to join. What a mistake... If you are a writer, and your book is needing some help, Cait @ Paper Fury and Sky @ Further Up & Further In created this linkup to help writers create better characters and dig deeper into their stories. <3
I think it's about time for me to be a bit more "sociable" where my blogging & writing is concerned, and allow myself to share a bit more. And what better way to do that than to join an awesome linkup??
I am going to use my protagonist, Emma Winslow, from my WIP, Emma's File, to answer these questions.
1. What’s their favourite ice cream flavour?
Emma likes to keep things simple. Vanilla ice-cream is her favorite, and if she is wanting to shake things up a little, she might get strawberry...
2. Your character is getting ready for a night out. Where are they going? What are they wearing? Who will they be with?
Emma isn't a huge social-butterfly... She likes going to the Library in her free time, but her friends can talk her into doing other things like going skating, attending a piano recital, or taking an art class.
When she's not wearing her school uniform, she usually wears jeans or skater-skirts with leggings and an oversized sweater.
And if she is hanging out with anyone, it would be her school friends Harper, Lennon, Ash, Nigel, or Hudson.
3. Look at your character’s feet. Describe what you see there. Do they wear dress shoes, gym shoes, or none at all? Are they in socks that are ratty and full of holes? What do they consider comfortable and what do they consider agony?
I see either worn Converse sneakers, or scuffed combat boots. Familiarity is comfort, and sentimental value plays into the meaning of this comfort. Agony is reminders of old hurts, fears, and sadness.
4. Do they have any birthmark or scars? Where are they and how did they get them?
Emma has a stray freckle or two... And she also has a little scar on her knuckles from when she was little & she burnt herself while baking cookies with her mom.
5. What kind of music do they listen to? Does it change depending on their mood or is it always consistent? (Feel free to share samples!)
I have a feeling that Emma likes soft, soothing acoustic music... Maybe some piano, violin, and guitar? Something gentle and easy to relax with!
6. Do they have any musical talent? Play an instrument? How’s their singing voice?
She took piano lessons from her mom when she was younger, but stopped when her mom died. She has a bit of a love-hate relationship with it, because of the memories, but cannot stop listening to her musically-inclined friends play!
She can sing okay, but it's not her favorite activity.
7. What kind of book would you catch them reading?
Emma likes the classics, but she adores a good 'ole fantasy novel!! It makes her feel like she is in another world & helps her to forget about her problems.
8. How would they spend their summers (or their holidays)?
Reading, listening to the sounds of nature, thinking about life...
9. It’s Saturday at noon. What is your character doing? Give details. Ex. If they’re eating breakfast, what’s on the menu? Are they hiking, shopping, lazing around?
Emma would be spending every spare moment in the Library if it wasn't for her friends. As she grows closer to them, she finds that she enjoys socializing more & more, and wants to spend more time with each of them.
Harper would probably be giving her a private music recital in the school's Music Hall or taking her shopping in the village close by school.
Ash would be giving her a piano lesson, teaching her to draw, or just sitting & talking.
Lennon would be tutoring her, going shopping with her, or teasing & telling funny stories.
Nigel would be working on Math homework with her, trying to get her to skate or do something else out-of-the-ordinary & unpredictable, or trying to make her feed him information about Lennon.
Hudson would be taking her out to lunch, walking with her, or reading a book to her.
10. Is there anything your character wants to be free of?
She wants to be free of her gift, or, rather, the past hurt, fear, and loneliness that has come with her gift. She looks at her ability to read minds as a curse. And she believes that her life would be better if she could only be "normal".
Wow!! I thoroughly enjoyed that. And I learned a few more things about Emma that I never would have thought about before... <3
Feel free to join this fun partaaaayy over at Cait's blog or Sky's!! I know I had fun this time, so if your are into writing, you ought to try it too! :)