My First College Semester

Saturday, February 25, 2017




    Hello, lovely people! As you can see, it has been MONTHS since my last blog update. I will not apologize, because everyone needs a break on occasion. I will, however, say a very hearty "I have missed you!!!!!" Many of you know (at least, those of you who follow me on Twitter) that I started college all the way back in August.

   That was the craziest ride I've ever been on.


   And while the first semester-and-a-half of college life has been getting in the way of my blogging, I feel like I've learned a great deal & wouldn't change the experience for the world. But what have I learned?? Well... Here's a list of a few things.



   1.) Waking Up Early



   I cannot tell you how many times I woke up late because my alarm didn't go off or I slept through it. I discovered that this can become incredibly stressful in the split-second realization that you either have to run to class with mismatched clothes & make it on time OR you can take the extra 2.5 minutes of preparation to coordinate your outfit in order to look like you actually put some thought into it & be late for an exam that's worth 45% of your overall grade... Serious soul-searching occurs & priorities usually come to light. It is times like these when your true character shows. (I usually don't give a crap about how I look anymore. Going makeup-free, messy hair, & oversized hoodies are my trademarks these days!! It does LOADS for your confidence-level. Lol)



   2.) Food is LIFE



   I cannot tell you how many late-night pantry raids I had with my roommates last semester & how much random food we consumed. Mac & Cheese was a general favorite, along with popcorn, ramen, ChowMein noodles, pizza rolls, and anything from Chef Boyardee. And when we scraped up enough loose change, I discovered how to work the $5 fill-up deals at all of my favorite fast-food places in town. (Yay for being thrifty, huh?) And ANYTIME you see an event offering free food (yes, it happens), you go. No ifs, ands, or buts...




   3.) Caffeine is Actually Crack



   When you have an exam coming up & the all-nighters you pulled are coming back to stab you in the shin & cripple you for the rest of your college career, a dear friend comes along and pushes you towards the finish line...

   "Hello, Coffee."

   Once you are in college, everyone runs entirely on stress from deadlines, sarcasm, and caffeine. You can literally bribe students with the shadow of a promise that you will buy them something from Starbucks next week. If you throw in an energy drink in there somewhere, you will make some lifetime friends.



   4.) Gossip Goes On




   Whether you like it or not, humans talk. Sometimes they talk about other humans. And on occasion, that unfortunate human will be you. What I have learned is that it is nearly impossible to keep secrets when you live on-campus. (Especially if you are attending a smaller school!) Everyone is around one another constantly, so it is difficult to keep people from talking, rumors from spreading, & secrets being shared. You have to learn to turn the other cheek & not get angry. In the end, just steer clear of sharing anything you wouldn't be cool with the entire campus knowing... And if this does happen, just shake it off. *momentarily turns into T. Swift*




   5.) Be Friendly with the Professors



   Contrary to popular belief, college Professors are humans too. (Some of them might not act like it, but hey... neither do I! lol!) They have friends, family, jobs, and interests just like their students. So here's a tip: treat them like humans. *horrified gasp*

   "BUT HANNAH, HOW DO I HUMAN AROUND MY PROFESSORS?? THEY CONTROL MY GPA!!!!"

 Hey, chill... They are people. They care. Be kind & thoughtful. Annndddddd just to put a little thought into your mind---- I have been known to bring chocolate to my Algebra teacher. Just saying.






••••••






Soooooo, my friends... There you go! That's five things I've learned in my first semester (and-a-half) of college life! Leave a comment down below with some of the things you've been learning!! Or share a story about school. Or say hi for the first time in a while. I'll accept any of them! :)








No comments :

Post a Comment

I love comments. Seriously, I love them! Feel free to discuss the post, ask questions, leave a link to your blog, or just make a passing remark about books & coffee...

(But PLEASE keep your comments kind & positive. Advice is fine, but meanness is not. Be sweet like chocolate & loving like Jesus and we will get along splendidly!)