What You ACTUALLY Need for Uni // packing list

Friday, August 24, 2018






It's nearing the end of August & Back-To-School Season is officially upon us! Most elementary/primary school through highschool/secondary schools (in my area, anyway) have started by now. Most universities, however, will begin within the next couple of weeks. It's pretty insane that it's already that time of year again, but who cares?? I never turn my nose up at another excuse to go shopping... Especially if it has anything to do with stationary & notebooks. *cheeky wink*

As shopping/packing for uni it is a popular topic, and a rather relevant one at this particular time, I am going to share a bit of wisdom I've gleaned from my past 2 years of university in the packing/shopping realm. (Trust me, guys. I'm a Transfer Student. *cheesy grin*)

Today, for all of my college-bound peeps, I'm going to give you a checklist of things you will ACTUALLY need. No more crazy, over-the-top checklists with things you will never use in a million years... This is stuff I have used previously or will be using this semester.

Sooooooo... without further ado, let's get started!!

1. The Basics

Obviously, since you are shopping for college, you will need some basic classroom supplies. These are the things I've used in the past & plan on using in the upcoming semester!

Pencils {the more glittery & cutesy, the better! The brand in the photo is called Yoobi, and I just recently discovered them & I'm a fan. Not only do they make cute back-to-school supplies, but for every thing you purchase from them, Yoobi donates one to a classroom in need. It makes everything a tad more expensive than normal, but I feel like it's totally worth the extra dollar or two...}
Pens {I prefer black ink, but I know many people like blue. Lemme know in the comments which you prefer!}
• Highlighters {the Sharpie-brand ones in the photo above are some of THE BEST I've ever used. This is my second package in two years & I adore them. There is a little 'clear view' window in the tip so you can see where you are highlighting & know when to stop. It's super helpful for a compulsive-highlighter like me! Hehe!}
Spiral Notebook(s) {I prefer hardcover ones! I've found that they tend to hold up better than the paperback kind, but they usually are a couple of dollars more...}
Five-Subject Notebook {these are super helpful & convenient because you won't have to tote a million notebooks around in your backpack! I like using these for my "messy notes" in-class & then rewriting my notes neatly in the hardcover spiral notebooks for studying later.}
Mini Stapler {trust me on this, keeping one of these by your side is like wielding some kind of holy flame. Waiting in line to get one stupid staple is such a time-waster & on top of that, if you share, you might just make some new friends in your lecture hall!}
A Hole Punch {only really useful if you aren't using notebook paper with holes already in it. I know there are some of you out there who will forget & wish you hadn't.}
Clear Tape {you literally never know when you will accidentally tear an important paper five minutes before turning it in... Ask me how I know. *sweats*}
Binder + Folders {I like to let my personality show a bit with my binders & folders. Plus, having a cute organizing stuff makes me wanna use it more! This is where you'll be storing all of those pages you fill up with research papers & homework assignments. This will help to keep yourself organized... No lost papers on my watch!! *strikes a pose*}
• Loose-leaf Paper {believe me, you'll want it. Tearing pages out of a notebook is noisy, messy, & dAnGeRoUs. You might get a paper-cut or tear your notes! This will go in your binder + folders quite nicely.}
Sticky Notes {if you are a perpetual note-taker, these things can save your life! If I own a textbook, I typically like to scribble little notes in the margins when I study, but I usually rent my textbooks now since it's cheaper. So now I can't write in the margins. BUT I AIN'T MAD because Sticky Notes are the perfect solution! All I do is write my thoughts/notes on the sticky note, stick it in the relevant spot on the page, & it's waiting on me whenever I go back to study later! Also, these are fun to leave encouraging notes on around campus. Just a thought!}
Weekly Planner {this is something that I am going to be implementing this semester & I'm genuinely excited about it. I've tried to keep up a planner in the past, but it just never worked for me. However, I will say that the times when I did keep my planner updated, I felt much less stress than I did without it. Why? Because, as a visual person, it's comforting for me to see things in black & white so I can solidify it in my mind. I just absorb my schedule better if I can see it on a page all at once. I would 100% recommend this to everyone, but especially incoming freshmen who might need a little extra help with their time-management.}

2. Hecking Handy (thank me later)

Okay, so now that we've covered the most important daily stuff, let's get into a few things that you will truly be glad you packed in the long run. I'm talking about the random stuff that you don't really think about, but you will soon realize make your life SO much easier & better...

Dry Shampoo {this handy stuff is an absolute life-saver for those mornings you accidentally sleep in & don't have time to shower before that 8am class you wish you hadn't signed up for... However, use it sparingly! And by that, I mean don't use it every single day. Remember to take care of yourself & to actually wash your hair like you should. I limit myself to using dry shampoo twice a week, if that. If you are tempted to use it anymore than that, you might wanna carve some more time out to actually shower instead. Believe me, you'll feel better.}
Quality Headphones {look, I know that not all of us can afford Beats headphones (however, if you use your student discounts carefully, you might actually be surprised?? That's how I technically got mine for free... *finger guns*), but having a pair of amazing headphones at your disposal can be a huge help when studying in a noisy dorm, listening to relaxing music, or even taking a Netflix break after studying! If you can find noise-cancelling headphones, that's even better because sometimes you really do just need to tune out for a little while.}
Portable Power Station {when I discovered how handy these things were, I never went back. Carrying a portable charger in your purse, backpack, or car is honestly one of the best choices you can ever make. You never know when your phone is going to die, but it typically happens at the most inconvenient times. If you have a portable charger on you, it's a quick fix & you can go on with your activities like nothing happened!}
Multivitamins {now I know I sound like a mom, but it's super important to get your vitamins in every day! Taking a daily multivitamin not only can keep you healthy & boost your immune system, but it can also give you a boost of energy that you didn't know you were missing. I personally take a very powerful women's multivitamin: Melaleuca Peak Performance vitamin pack. I highly recommend it for anyone who is needing a little boost in their day-to-day life.}
Hot Rollers {I know that these are probably things you've seen your mom & grandma use, but lemme tell you, hon... hot rollers will save your life! Picture this: you're running late. You only have a few minutes to get ready & you have to choose between doing your makeup or curling your hair. WHICH DO YOU CHOOSE?? Well, thanks to your set of hot rollers, you'll have time for both! You can simply put your hair up in the rollers & let them set while you do your makeup, after which you can just shake them out & you're ready! However, I recommend practicing with them before deciding to use them on a busy day. They take a bit of practice, but they are insanely easy once you get the hang of it!}
3. Fashion(ably on-time!)

Okay, you had to know this was coming! Fashion at school is actually a little more important than you think it is, especially as an upperclassman. No, I'm not talking about "important" in the shallow sense. I mean important as in can possibly affect your future in the workforce. What do I mean? Allow me to explain briefly... (this topic will be covered in full in an upcoming post!)

Your professors at university have a lot of pull when it comes to your future jobs after you graduate, so putting your best foot forward & looking nice are extremely important. Especially if you are working hard at building a relationship with your professors & networking on-campus.

All that to say, you need to dress semi-professionally! So here's my quick list of some basic pieces you need in your college closet.

A Simple Dress {take the time to find a cute, semi-professional dress that not only looks good one you, but one that you feel confident in! Confidence is a key factor in how you wear certain pieces & how they look on you. And it doesn't have to be solid black! Everyone says 'everyone needs a little black dress,' but you don't have to follow what everyone else says. You do you & pick a versatile dress you love.}
Dress Pants/Slacks {I have multiple colors in these, but you can choose whatever color fits in with your closet. I recommend at least two pair. These pair nicely with button-ups, cute sweaters, or even a simple blousey top. It adds a hint of professionalism to your look without going overboard.}
• Button-Up {I currently have two nice, long-sleeved button-ups in my closet & I am so excited to get to wear them. I recommend having one with some pattern/color in it & one that is a neutral tone. For instance, I have a blue striped one & a solid white one. This is good for mixing & matching looks, which I will get into in an upcoming post.}
A Basic Cardigan {trust me, you will learn to appreciate the cardigan. Oftentimes, your lecture halls will be chilly, but having a cute cardigan in your closet can solve the issue. Besides, you don't wanna have to throw on a hoodie with your uni's colors if it clashes with your adorable outfit. So try your best to choose a color that goes with nearly any outfit you have in your closet. I find that a soft, neutral tone works best. You'll thank me later.}
Nice Jeans {no, I'm not talking about the jeans you wore to the rodeo or whatever it is the kids do these days... I mean a pair of clean, unstained, unblemished denim jeans that will serve as a comfy & warm alternative to slacks in the colder months. Or even for the days where you just aren't feeling a skirt or a dress! Whatever the reason for wearing them, a good pair of basic jeans can add a plethora of new possibilities to your college wardrobe, without looking messy & unkept.}
• A Fancy-Looking Bag {don't laugh at me. I say fancy looking because I know that I would never be able or willing to pay anything over $50 for a bag of any kind... But there are many bags out there that are sturdy, fashionable, & budget-friendly that can also serve as a functional accessory! Think about it, suppose you put together an amazing, sleek, red carpet-ready outfit for class... only to realize that you had to throw on your funky neon-colored backpack from highschool with it. Nothing wrong with that! But if you're like me & like everything to match, I'd be looking for something that looks like an intentional accessory that is also functional.


Well, lovelies, that's my basic list for Back-to-Uni shopping! This is the kickoff post to a new series I will be writing, which will be focusing on tips & tricks for college students and also some occasional fashion advice. While it is geared towards college students, we will be discussing things that apply to all walks of life, in school and out of school, so don't hesitate to check back in... You might still find that you can relate even if you aren't a uni girl.

ALSO... this blog post is part of a collaboration with my dear friend, The Miss Charley. She & I have loads of things in common, including the fact that we are both commuting to college this year! With that in mind, Charley has written a blog post discussing What Every Uni Student Needs in Their Backpack, from a commuter's perspective. Do yourself a favor & stop by her blog to check out that post and let her know I sent you!


Let me know in the comments what your must-haves are in your day-to-day life. Are you a uni student? Are you still in highschool? What kinds of posts would you like to see in my upcoming student-series? Any tips to add to my packing list? Lemme know all the things! Xx


Post a Comment

Hey there! I see you sitting there and reading my blog. You should definitely leave a comment...

What did you think of this post? Do you have anything to add or any questions? Do you have a blog post about a similar topic? Hit me up! Xx